The is a bundle of small layout tweaks I use on my own community sites to change the look of the forums app. I turned them into a plugin so I and anyone else can use them easily without any manual changes to the theme code.
The main feature is a forum listing change, which puts the users into focus with large avatar images of the person creating the topic and the last poster. I’ve seen this on a community website once and it instantly convinced me. Instantly showing the people behind the posts makes the topics more personal and users are more likely to answer this way. I also added a few other tweaks, which I find useful or which people have asked for in this community.
- Forums app
Detailed Feature/Settings Description:
- Turn the avatar mode for desktop views on or off.
- Avatar size. mini, small or medium.
- Remove last poster column from index. A cleaner look and faster loading of the index page.
- Dim inaccessible forums. Shows forums which can be seen but not opened with 50% opacity.
- Dim forum description. Shows the forum descriptions with less contrast so the titles stand out more.
- Remove headline from index. Removes the H1 “Forums” headline if you don’t need it.
- Remove tags. Removes the tags from the forum listing views. Creates a much cleaner look.
- Turn ‘Above the Fold mode’ on or off. Removes everything but the title from the topic view, so the actual content of the topic comes into view sooner.
More feature might be added over time. Feel free to suggest forum layout tweaks in the support topic.
- The plugin only supports regular forums, not Q&A forums.
- The plugin should work fine with forums using the stock theme or themes close to the stock theme. I cannot guarantee it will work on heavily modified themes. Third-party apps/plugins should still be able to change or inject content in the affected forum views. I tested a few like Topic Thumbnails or Best Answer on Discussion Forums and they continue to work. Again, there can be no guarantee that there will be no conflicts with third-party apps/plugins, which change the same theme files as this plugin.